What Is FEMA?
Have You Heard of The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)?
Many homeowners in Pine Harbor, NC, are not aware of this support system for victims of domestic disasters. Every year the most common, and expensive, national disaster is flooding. Even without flood insurance, people impacted by floodwaters can get some monetary relief.
What Options Does FEMA Offer?
Renters, homeowners and business owners have the choice to purchase a policy directly through The National Flood Insurance Program. This is a good decision if your home is located in a flood plain. However, even if you are not covered, there are two additional options to help fund flood damage repair of your home and property:
• You can apply for a grant, which does not need to be paid back. This money is for disaster-related expenditures such as emergency repairs to your home or short-term housing while your house is unlivable. Grants are not intended to fund complete restoration, but rather help you to return your home to a safe condition.
• A disaster loan does need to be paid back. However, you can borrow enough money to completely restore your home to pre-flood condition.
How Do Homeowners Access Support?
• You are eligible for this program when a declared disaster causes damage to your home or property. A member of your household must be a US citizen or qualified alien. You may be eligible for other types of assistance if the members of your home are undocumented.
• Apply for grants or loans at https://www.disasterassistance.gov.
• An inspector contacts you and inspects the damage. The next step includes working with a qualified flood and water restoration specialist who restores your home and personal property.
When a flood strikes in Pine Harbor, NC, and you do not have flood insurance, there is another option for help. FEMA offers disaster relief funding in the form of grants and loans to help you get back on your feet after a flood or other domestic disaster.