Steps To Take After a House Fire
Steps To Take After The Fire Has Been Extinguished
A Berryhill, NC, house fire can leave your home vulnerable to further damage. It may be necessary to board up parts of the structure and take other precautions. Familiarizing yourself with the steps to take after a fire can help you make the best decisions for your home and family. The following outlines the steps to take after the fire has been extinguished.
1. Assess the damage. Ask the fire department if it is safe to go back inside. Determine if your family will need to temporarily relocate. Contact your insurance company and begin documenting the fire damage for them.
2. Secure the property. An emergency board up may be necessary if the fire or fire-extinguishing efforts left openings in the structure. Board up broken windows, tarp over holes in the roof, etc. Make sure that there are no entry points for vandals, wildlife, or inclement weather.
3. Dry out the structure and contents. If water was used to put out the fire, you will need to dry out the home as quickly as possible to prevent mold growth. Use pumps or specialized vacuums to remove standing water. If necessary, you can also use buckets to scoop out the water. After the standing water has been removed, there will still be moisture in porous items. Use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out these items.
4. Clean and sanitize affected items. Soot and smoke linger long after the flames have been extinguished. Fortunately, there are a variety of cleaners that can remove soot as well as several ways to treat smoke odor. A professional can help you choose the best cleaning techniques for your home.
5. Repair or replace damaged items. After everything is clean and dry, it is time to begin making repairs. Some repairs you may be able to do yourself, but delicate or heavily damaged items often require specialized restoration services.
Having to board up your home, restore your belongings, etc. can be overwhelming for many homeowners. Fortunately, an experienced restoration service can help you with every step of the fire restoration process.